Askham Richard, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Askham Richard, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Askham Richard, Yorkshire|
|Poor Law Union||York|
|Parish registers: 1579|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Rural Deanery||City of York and Ainsty|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Askham Richard, or Little Askham (St. Mary) is a Parish in the Ainsty wapentake, West Riding, Yorkshire. It is situated about 3 1/2 miles (N.E.) from Tadcaster. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Records from York Registration District held at York are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these . There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
Online data content from chapelry registers of Askham-Richard exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ASKHAM-RICHARD PARISH (1566) Online Records|
|FS||1579-1901||1579-1753, 1796-1837, 1842-1899||1813-1905|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Link to the FamilySearch Catalog film numbers in their collection Askham Richard
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 96-100. Date accessed: 13 December 2013.
- 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 27 October 2014.
- 'National Burial Index - Yorkshire (City and Ainsty) Coverage,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 16 October 2014.