Ashland County, Wisconsin Genealogy
Guide to Ashland County Wisconsin genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Ashland County, Wisconsin|
Location in the state of Wisconsin
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||March 27, 1860|
|Address|| Ashland County Courthouse|
201 Main St West;
Ashland, WI 54806-1652
Ashland County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business Records
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Gazetteers
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Histories
- 2.14 Land and Property
- 2.15 Maps
- 2.16 Military Records
- 2.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.18 Newspapers
- 2.19 Obituaries
- 2.20 Probate Records
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 School Records
- 2.24 Taxation
- 2.25 Vital Records
- 2.26 Voter Registration
- 2.27 Websites
- 3 References
Ashland County, Wisconsin Record Dates
1860--Ashland County was created 27 March 1860 from LaPointe County. 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Wisconsin Cemeteries for more information.|
- Tombstone Photograph Pages - Ashland County USGenWeb Archives
- Census Resources for Ashland County WIGenWeb project
- 1855 - 1855 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images. This census includes name of head of family; other individuals in the household are identified by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
- 1865 - 1865 Wisconsin State Census Name index and images of the 1865 State Census which names the head of household. Most records have been destroyed but schedules exist for the following counties: Dunn, Green, Jackson, Kewaunee, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan.
- 1875 - 1875 Wisconsin State Census Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1885 - Wisconsin State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images. Search indexed census. Identifies by name of head of household. Other information is statistical and identifies the rest of the household by race, gender and country of birth.
- 1895 - Wisconsin State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images. Identifies head of household by name. Other information is statistical.
- 1905 - Wisconsin State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — Name index and images of population. Enumerates by name all inhabitants.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Ashland County Land Patents Database WIGenWeb project
World War I (The Great War), 1914-1918
- Ashland County Army Casualties USGenWeb Archives
World War II, 1941-1945
Ashland County WI Archives Military Records - Army Enlistees
Naturalization and Citizenship
Finding More Wisconsin Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Ashland County, Wisconsin Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Ashland Clerk of Circuit Court and are housed at the Ashland Courthouse. See the wiki page Wisconsin Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, and adoptions.
- 1800 – 1987 Wisconsin Wills and Probate Records 1800-1987 at Ancestry.com — images and index $
- 1848 – 1948 Wisconsin Probate Estate Files 1848-1948 at FamilySearch — images
Ashland Historical Society
Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center
Mellen Area Historical Society
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Wisconsin tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned property or other items that could be taxed were listed, some residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records. For more information see the Wiki page, Wisconsin Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Most counties started keeping records in the 1870s. In 1907, the counties began sending copies to the state.
For pre-1907 births, deaths, and marriages, search the Wisconsin Genealogy Index.
For additional information, see Wisconsin Vital Records.
Ashland County Courthouse
201 Main St West;
Ashland, WI 54806-1652
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1863, marriage records from 1879, death records from 1877 and land records from 1860. The Clerk of the Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1873. Register in Probate has probate records from 1890
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Ashland County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Ashland County WIGenWeb project
- Ashland County Archives USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Ashland County, Wisconsin, p.755