Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity, Leicestershire Genealogy
|Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity, Leicestershire|
|Poor Law Union||Ashby de la Zouch|
|Registration District||Ashby de la Zouch|
|Parish registers: 1561; Separate registers exist for Blackfordby beginning 1653 and also for Donisthorpe beginning 1838|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564; Separate records exist for Blackfordby beginning 1630 and also for Donisthorpe beginning 1838|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester|
|Location of Archive|
|Leicestershire Record Office|
ASHBY-DE-LA-ZOUCH (St. Helen), a market town, parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester,18 miles (N. W. by W.) from Leicester, and 115 (N. W. by N.) from London; containing, with part of the ecclesiastical district of Woodville and part of the chapelry of Blackfordby. A church dedicated to the Holy Trinity was erected... At Woodville is a district church: in the township of Blackfordby is a chapel of ease; and there are places of worship in the parish for Baptists, the Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, Independents, and Wesleyaus. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 81-85. Date accessed: 13 August 2012.