Ashby St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Ashby St Mary, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Ashby St Mary, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Loddon and Clavering|
|Parish registers: 1620|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ASHBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Loddon 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Ashby St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ashby St Mary, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Images of the parish registers may be viewed online at Historic Records (formerly Record Search). The early registers are combined with Herringfleet, Suffolk and Gunton, Norfolk Norwich Record Office reference 425/ 1-6
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- 1891 Surname Transcription: done by Pat Greetham
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Ashby St. Mary on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 81-85. Date accessed: 28 August 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014. There are two Ashbys in this collection; further research is needed to properly distinguish them from each other.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 11 April 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Ashby', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Ashby St Mary', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.