Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Arlington County, Virginia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Arlington County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 13, 1847|
- 1 County Information
- 2 Arlington County Virginia History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 Research Guides
- 4.2 African Americans
- 4.3 Bible Records
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church Records
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Genealogy
- 4.9 Land
- 4.10 Local Histories
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Probate Records
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 Arlington County Virginia Genealogy References
Arlington County is located in the Northern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia and included in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. The name Arlington was chosen because General Robert E. Lee’s home of that name is located in the County, on the grounds of Arlington National Cemetery.
Arlington County Virginia Courthouse
Arlington County Courthouse
1425 North Courthouse Road
Arlington, VA 22201
Formerly Alexandria County -
Clerk Circuit Court has birth, marriage, death, land and court records 
Arlington County Virginia History
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, visit "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Resources
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Alexandria County [Arlington County]," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1959). Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Arlington County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 4, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1960):80. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vg. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- Ray, Suzanne Smith. "Genealogical Research in the Records of Alexandria City and Arlington County," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 10, No. 4 (Jul.-Aug. 1984):1. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 B2vt; digital version at Virginia Genealogical Society website.
Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy cohabitation records are available online.
(see Alexandria County)
- Heinegg, Paul. Free African Americans of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maryland and Delaware. 2005-present. - free online book. Cole, Ennis, Fletcher, Handless, Lucas, McIntosh, Nichols, Shorter, Thomas, Valentine, Webster families of pre-1820 Arlington County, Virginia.
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Arlington County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Arlington County: 
- 1800-1986 - Virginia, Jewish Cemetery Records Index, ca. 1800-1986 at FamilySearch index
- Decker, K. and Angus McSween. Historic Arlington: A History of the National Cemetery from Its Establishment to the Present Time, with Sketches of the Historic Personages Who Occupied the Estate Previous to Its Seizure by the National Government... Decker and McSween Pub. Co., 1892. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
- Smith, F.H. Memorial Ceremonies at the National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia, Under the Auspices of the Grand Army of the Republic, May 30, 1868. Washington, D.C.: McGill & Witherow, Printers and Stereotypers, 1868. Digital version at Google Books (full-view).
For tips on accessing Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
Church of England
- Slaughter, Philip and Edward Lewis Goodwin. History of Truro Parish in Virginia. Philadelphia, PA: George W. Jacobs, 1907. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.52 K2s and FHL US/CAN Film 1598227 Item 12. Digital versions available at FamilySearch Books Online; Google Books (full-view); and World Vital Records ($).
- The Truro Parish Colonial Vestry Book (1732-1785) and the proceedings of the Overseers of the Poor (1787-1802). Digitized images available online at Truro Parish Colonial Vestry Minutes.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Indexed images of Arlington County, Virginia Chancery Records 1790-1842 are available online through Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index. These records, often concerned with inheritance disputes, contain a wealth of genealogical information.
- 1861-1865 – Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 – Virginia, Civil War, Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1861-1865 – U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry index
- 1861-1865 – U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry index
Regiments. Service men in Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy:
- - 17th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company A (Alexandria Riflemen), Company E (Mount Vernon Guards), Company G (Emmett Guards), Company H (Old Dominion Rifles), Company I (O'Connell Guards), and Company K (Warrenton Rifles).
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
- 1858-1878, 1868-1878 - Arlington County Index to Wills and Estates, Book 9, 1858-1878, 1868-1878 Virginia Pioneers ($)
- 1815 - Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. FHL 975 E4w v. 4. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Alexandria County is included in Vol. 4.]
- 1829 - A List of Tithables for the Town Part of the County of Alexandria, 1829. Original records, Arlington County Courthouse in Arlington, Virginia; FHL copy: FHL 1902939 Item 4.
Indexes to Arlington County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1850-1881 - Arlington County Marriage Index 1850-1881. Batch M868475 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1936-1988 - Virginia, Marriage Certificates, 1936-1988 at FamilySearch index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Arlington County Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Arlington County VAGenWeb Project, a part of The VAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project
- Arlington County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Site of Arlington Chapel Marker, The Historical Marker Database
Arlington County Virginia Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Arlington County, Virginia. Page 710 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Arlington County, Virginia," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_County,_Virginia, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- USGS Map, Trails.com
- "Virginia Memory: Chancery Records Index Availability," Library of Virginia (accessed 26 January 2010).
- Lee A. Wallace, 17th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 67.