|Arkansas Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guardianship is a court ordered appointment of one person (the guardian) to take care of someone who is physically or mentally unable to manage their affairs (the ward). A ward is often a minor child.
Guardianship records have been kept by the clerks of the county courts in Arkansas, sometimes in separate volumes, but most often merely noted in the court minutes.
A person appointed as guardian may be a relative, a friend of the family, or one who could teach the minor(s) a trade. In some cases guardians or administrators were appointed to handle the affairs of adults who were deemed incompetent.
Websites for Arkansas Guardianship
- Arkansas County Clerk Office Directory at county-clerk.net
- gives locations and contact information for each county clerk in Arkansas
- Arkansas records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- A topic list will appear from which you may choose 'Guardianship', 'Court Records', or 'Probate Records.'
- Or click "Places within..." for a list of counties
- County records at Arkansas History Commission
- Includes guardianship records
- Select a county
- Optional: Enter text "Guardian" which will yield more than "Guardianship"
- Microfilm numbers for Arkansas History Commission and the FamilySearch Catalog are included
- Click General Photocopy Order Form for services and prices.
Samples of Guardianship Records
- Arkansas County Guardian bonds and letters 1876-1911 vol 1 This sample gives the name of the Guardian and the minor ward, and the date of the guardianship appointment.