Arizona, Maricopa, Mesa City Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Arizona, Maricopa, Mesa City Cemetery Records, 1885-1960
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, United States|
|Flag of Arizona|
|Location of Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona|
|Location of Arizona|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of images to cemetery and other records from the Mesa City Cemetery, and covers the years 1885 through 1960. The collection includes:
- Permits for graves
- Tax roll
- Block book
- Sexton ledgers
- Burial records
- Funeral records
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Arizona, Maricopa, Mesa City Cemetery Records.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Cemetery records may contain:
- The name of deceased
- Death date
- Burial dates and places
- Cause of death
- Birth year
- Names of children
- Mortuary or undertaker
- Name of purchaser of the plot
- Location of the plot
The Mesa City Cemetery began keeping records when it was established in 1891. It is currently operated by the City of Mesa Parks, Recreation, and Commercial Facilities Department. The records were created to keep track of who had purchased the lots and who was buried there. The records are generally reliable, but the information depends upon the reliability and memory of the informant or purchaser of the burial plot.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate burial or death date
- The names of other relatives or associates
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type, Date Range and Volume to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Arizona, Maricopa, Mesa City Cemetery Records, 1885-1960. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
- Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the birth date listed on the cemetery record to search for birth records
- Search for the actual death certificate
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral records which often include the names and residences of other family members
- Search for an obituary in a local newspaper
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by record.
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names. Try searching for these names as well
Consult the Arizona Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Arizona, Maricopa, Mesa City Cemetery Records, 1885-1960." Database and images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 27 January 2017. Mesa City Cemetery.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.