Arizona, United States Genealogy
|Arizona Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
The FamilySearch moderator for Arizona is James Tanner.
Guide to Arizona ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Arizona Information[edit | edit source]
Arizona territory was created on 24 February 1863 from the western half of New Mexico territory. Later, the northwest corner of Arizona was removed and given to Nevada on 18 January 1867. After nearly 50 years of being a territory, Arizona became the last of the contiguous forty-eight states in the Union on 14 February 1912. It is know officially as "The Grand Canyon State," but was referred to informally as "the Baby State" until Alaska became a state in 1959. There are 15 counties in Arizona and the capital is Phoenix.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Arizona Research
Links to articles on getting started with Arizona research.
Arizona Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Arizona research.
Arizona Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
Many genealogy records are kept on the county level in the United States. Click on a county below to go to the county Wiki article listing more information.
Counties[edit | edit source]
Extinct and former counties which might have records for your Arizona ancestors:
- See Previous Jurisdictions to Land in Arizona which shows when counties were created, maps, and where their records are now located.
- See also Arizona County Creation Dates and Parent Counties
Arizona Migration Routes[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch resources that can assist you in searching for your family.
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records - databases and record images on FamilySearch
- Current Obituaries — index for 2001 - 2014
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Family History Centers - locator map
Additional Resources[edit | edit source]
- Cyndi's List - Arizona genealogy sites on the internet
- Arizona Genealogy Trails - Collection of transcribed data for the state of Arizona
- Access Genealogy – Genealogy guide for Arizona
- The Ancestor Hunt - Resources for Arizona genealogy research
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - Guide to Ancestry and Family Tree Records for Arizona
- Arizona Research Outline – Original Family History Library research outline; contains many out of date links
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Arizona" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona (accessed 15 March 2016).
- Wikipedia contributors, "List of US States by Date of Admission," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_date_of_admission_to_the_Union, accessed 1 Nov 2016.