Andorra Language and Languages
|Andorra Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
The official language is Catalan, but French and Spanish are widely spoken. The records are written in Catalan, French, Latin, and Spanish.
For Records in Spanish
- You do not have to be fluent in Spanish to read your documents. Genealogical records usually contain a limited vocabulary. Use this Spanish Genealogical Word List to translate the important points in the document. Reading handwriting skills are taught in the BYU Spanish Script Tutorial.
- Online interactive slideshow lessons are available to help you learn to read these records:
- Detailed instructions for reading Spanish records, examples of common documents, and practice exercises for developing skills in translating them can be found in the Spanish Records Extraction Manual.
- The Spanish Documents Script Tutorial also provides lessons and examples.
For Records in French
Here are some resources for learning to read French records.
There is a three-lesson course in reading handwriting in old French records:
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 1: The French Alphabet,
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 2: Key Words and Phrases
- Reading French Handwritten Records Lesson 3: Reading French Records
These lessons focus on reading church record and civil registration records:
Another resource is the French Records Extraction Manual, Full Manual. Much more is covered, but these first four lessons are especially useful.
- Chapter 1: OLD FRENCH RECORDS
- Chapter 2: PARISH CHRISTENING AND CIVIL BIRTH ENTRIES
- Chapter 3: MARRIAGE ENTRIES
- Chapter 4: OTHER ENTRIES
- Chapter 5: FRENCH HANDWRITING AND SPELLING
For Records in Catalan
- Genealogical word lists : Catalan, Greek, Latvian, Lithuanian, Romansh, Serbo-Croatian, Swiss German
- Omniglot Information on Catalan
For Records in Latin
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Andorra,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1990-1999.