Andorra Church Records
|Andorra Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
For information about records for non-Christian religions in Andorra, go to the Religious Records page.
Online Resources and Websites[edit | edit source]
- Parish Records, 1851-1876, Catholic Church. Diocese of Urgel (Spain). Manuscripts in the diocesan archive of Urgel. The Diocese of Urgel includes the provinces of Lleida and Gerona and the independent Principality of Andorra.
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Births and Baptisms, Andorra , index and images, ($)
- British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials, index and images, ($
Historical Background[edit | edit source]
The population of Andorra is predominantly (88.2%) Catholic. Though it is not an official state religion, the constitution acknowledges a special relationship with the Catholic Church, offering some special privileges to that group. Other Christian denominations include the Anglican Church, the Unification Church, the New Apostolic Church, and Jehovah's Witnesses. 
Information Recorded in the Records[edit | edit source]
Different denominations, different time periods, and practices of different record keepers will effect how much information can be found in the records. This outline will show the types of details which might be found (best case scenario):
Baptisms[edit | edit source]
In Catholic and Anglican records, children were usually baptized a few days after birth, and therefore, the baptism record proves date of birth. Other religions, such as Baptists, baptized at other points in the member's life. Baptism registers might give:
Marriages[edit | edit source]
Marriage registers can give:
Burials[edit | edit source]
Burial registers may give:
How to Find Records[edit | edit source]
Digital Copies of Church Records in the FamilySearch Catalog[edit | edit source]
Watch for digitized copies of church records to be added to the collection of the FamilySearch Library. Some records might have viewing restrictions, and can only be viewed at a Family History Center near you, and/or by members of supporting organizations. To find records:
- a. Click on the records of Andorra.
- b. Click on Places within Andorra and a list of towns will appear.
- c. Click on your town if it appears, or the location which you believe was the parish which served your town or village.
- d. Click on the "Church records" topic. Click on the blue links to specific record titles.
- e. Some combination of these icons will appear at the far right of the listing for the record. . The magnifying glass indicates that the record is indexed. Clicking on the magnifying glass will take you to the index. Clicking on the camera will take you to an online digital copy of the records.
Writing for Records[edit | edit source]
You will probably need to write to or email the national archives, the diocese, or local parish priests to find records. See Spanish Letter Writing Guide for help with composing letters.
Andorra Archives[edit | edit source]
- Department of Archives and Records Management
- Prada Casadet, 8-12
- AD500 Andorra la Vella
- Phone: +376802288 Ext. 3220
- Phone: +376868645
Catholic Church Records[edit | edit source]
Andorra la Vella Parish
St. Stephen Andorra la Vella
AD500 Andorra la Vella
Telephone: +376 821 177
St. Saturnino Canillo
St. Eulalia Encamp
Carrer de Santa Eulalia 11
Encamp, AD500 Encamp
St. Peter Escaldes-Engordany
Carrer Mossén Guillen Adellach 3
La Massana Parish
St. Acisclo La Massana
St. Cornelius Ordino
Sant Julia de Loria Parish
St. Julian Sant Julia de Loria
Avinguda Verge de Caólich 21
San Julia, Sant Julia de Loria
Anglican Church Records[edit | edit source]
Writing for Records[edit | edit source]
St. George's Church
PO Box 113
Avda Sant Antoni
La Massana AD400
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia contributors, "Andorra", in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil, accessed 6 April 2020.