Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Anderson County, Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, military records, and immigration records.
|Anderson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 16, 1827|
- 1 Anderson County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Anderson County Kentucky History
- 3 Anderson County Kentucky Places / Localities
- 4 Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African Americans
- 4.2 Cemeteries
- 4.2.1 Census
- 4.2.2 Church
- 4.2.3 Court
- 4.2.4 Directories
- 4.2.5 Genealogy
- 4.2.6 Land
- 4.2.7 Local Histories
- 4.2.8 Maps
- 4.2.9 Military
- 4.2.10 Miscellaneous
- 4.2.11 Newspapers
- 4.2.12 Obituaries
- 4.2.13 Probate
- 4.2.14 Taxation
- 4.2.15 Vital Records
- 5 Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
Anderson County Kentucky Courthouse
Anderson County Courthouse
151 S Main Street
Lawrenceburg, KY 40342
Anderson County Kentucky History
On January 28, 1854 a minor change in the line between the county of Franklin and Anderson was approved by legislation. It was to include the house in which R.C. McKee lived. See County Formations Database at Kentucky Land Office webpage.
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1859 -- October 26, 1859. Courthouse destroyed by fire. Some record loss. Order Book D and Mortgage Book B were lost in the fire. 
1873 -- March 17, 1873. Courthouse spared during the fire that destroyed most of Lawrenceburg. 
1915 -- April 13, 1915. Courthouse destroyed by fire. Nearly all records were saved.
Anderson County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Alton Station||Fox Creek||Lawrenceburg||Stringtown|
|Ballard||Houchin (hist.)||Pleasant Grove (hist.)|
|Birdie||Jefferies (hist.)||Sidney (hist.)|
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- African American Records at Anderson County KYGenWeb Project
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
The following web site has additional information on Anderson county cemeteries.
- ePodunk list of Anderson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Anderson County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- Census Directory at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Churches at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- See Anderson County at Kentucky Court of Justice for information on circuit court.
- See Kentucky: State Board of Elections for contact information for county clerk. You may need to scroll down the page.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Inventory of the county archives of Kentucky: Anderson County at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
Several genealogies have been published about Anderson County families, including:
- [Catlett] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Reynolds] Tillman, Stephen Frederick. The Rennolds-Reynolds Family of Virginia and England, 1530-1948. Washington, D.C.: S.F. Tillman, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 R333t; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- jrshelby.com/hcl/ky.htm - maps showing formation of counties.
- Miltary Records at Anderson County KYGenWeb
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Kentucky Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1912-1950 - Kentucky Confederate Pension Applications 1912-1950 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 10th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Company A
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
The Anderson News
1080 Bypass South, Suite 3
Lawrenceburg, KY 40242
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1774 – 1999 Kentucky Wills and Probate Records 1774-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1727 – 1990 Kentucky Probate Records 1727-1990 at FamilySearch — images
- 1827-1930 - Will Books A and B (1827-1930) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Wills at Anderson County KYGenWeb
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records..
- How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths and Marriages
- 1839-1960 - KY Births and Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, Family Search
- 1852-1859 - Anderson County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517031 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Anderson County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517032 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Anderson County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517033 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1797-1954 - Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1783-1979 - KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages ~ Family Search
- 1831-1866 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1831-1866. Batch M539941 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1837-1847 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1837-1847. Batch M539942 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1848-1865 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1848-1865. Batch M539943 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1852-1859 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517031 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1875 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517034 (broken link) at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876-1878 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517035 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1973-2000 - Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records -
- Record of Marriage Bonds in Anderson County, Kentucky for the Period of Years 1827 to 1851 Inclusive. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1843-1970 - KY Deaths and Burials ~ KY Deaths and Burials
- 1911-1963 - Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1963 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Death Records and Obituaries
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Anderson County Historical Society
114 N. Main Street
Lawrenceburg KY 40342
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Anderson County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Anderson County KY Archives
- Anderson County KYGenWeb part of the USGenWeb project.
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- FamilySearch Catalog at FamilySearch
- Anderson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History at Linkpendium.
- Anderson County KY Genealogy (Kentucky Genealogy)
Anderson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Anderson County, Kentucky page 268, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lawrenceburg, KY Courthouse Fire, Oct 1859 at GenDisasters.com http://www3.gendisasters.com/kentucky/22513/lawrenceburg-ky-courthouse-fire-oct-1859
- Kentucky Counties Burned Courthouses http://www.raogk.org/county-facts/kentucky/#courthouse
- Lawrenceburg, KY Town Fire http://www3.gendisasters.com/kentucky/22512/lawrenceburg-ky-town-fire-mar-1873
- Lawrenceburg, KY Courthouse and Main Street Fire, Apr 1915 at GenDisasters.com http://www3.gendisasters.com/kentucky/22511/lawrenceburg-ky-courthouse-main-street-fire-apr-1915
- May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.