Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Amite County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Amite County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||24 February, 1809|
|Address|| Amite County Courthouse|
243 W Main St;
Liberty, MS 39645-0000
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Amite County, Mississippi Record Dates
243 W Main St;
Liberty, MS 39645-0000
Clerk Chancery Court has court, land and probate records from 1809.
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records. 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana
- St. Helena Parish, Louisiana
- Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana
- African American Links for Amite County MSGenWeb Project
- Largest Slaveholders from 1860 Slave Census Schedules and Surname Matches for African Americans on 1870 Census MSGenWeb Project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|Tombstone Project||WorldCat||Billion Graves|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1810 - 1810 Territory Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1816 - 1816 Territory Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1820 - 1820 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1824 - 1824 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1830 - 1830 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1833 - 1833 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1845 - 1845 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1853 - 1853 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1805-1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660-1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792-1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Amite County Census Records USGenWeb Archives
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Court records, 1809-1936; indexes, 1810-1899 Viewable
- A list of all the Overseers of the different roads in Amite County USGenWeb Archives
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Mississippi Land Patents Database, Amite County - (USGenWeb Archives)
- Some Military Land Grants In Amite County Mississippi For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 USGenWeb Archives
Local histories are available for Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1643-1947)
- Family Maps of Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- Men from Amite County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Amite County.
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company I - Stockdale Rangers
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Amite Rifles
World War I
World War II
- Mississippi Index World War II Enlistees Listed by County USGenWeb Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Amite County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 - 1982 - Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com - index and images $
- 1809 - 1922 - Amite County Mississippi list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills - free
- 1781 - 1930 - Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776-1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1850 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1800-1900 - Amite County, Mississippi Marriages. Arranged by bride. Arranged by groom. Courtesy: MSGenWeb - free.
- 1809-1844 - Amite County Marriage Books 1 thru 3 Index 1809-1844. Batch M516731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1844-1873 - Amite County Marriage Books 4 thru 6 Index 1844-1873. Batch M516732 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1866-1879 - Amite County Marriage Book 7 Index 1866-1879. Batch M516733 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1879-1885 - Amite County Marriage Books 10 and 11 Index 1879-1885. Batch M516734 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1887-1892 - Amite County Marriage Books 12 and 13 Index 1887-1892. Batch M516735 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1892-1899 - Amite County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1892-1899. Batch M516736 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1899-1903 - Amite County Marriage Books 16 and 17 Index 1899-1903. Batch M735104 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1903-1905 - Amite County Marriage Book 18 Index 1903-1905. Batch M735111 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1905-1910 - Amite County Marriage Books 19 and 20 Index 1905-1910. Batch M735112 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1910-1917 - Amite County Marriage Books 21 and 22 Index 1910-1917. Batch M735345 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1917-1924 - Amite County Marriage Books 23 thru 25 Index 1917-1924. Batch M735082 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1924-1928 - Amite County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1924-1928. Batch M735182 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1809-1971 Marriage record, 1809-1952; marriage index, 1809-1971
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Amite County Historical and Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 2
South Mississippi Genealogical & Historical Society,
P.O. Box 15271,
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Southwest Mississippi Genealogy Society,
P.O. Box 175,
McComb, Mississippi, 39649
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Amite County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Amite County Historical and Genealogical Society
- Amite County, MSGenWeb Project
- Amite County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Amite County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.