| The following works provide important background information useful for helping you to find American Indian ancestors.|
- Confederation of American Indians (New York, New York), Indian Reservations: a State and Federal Handbook. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland, 1986. WorldCat 14098308; FHL book 970.1 In2
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30, 1906. This publication lists the 22 states which had reservations in 1908. Available online. At various respositories (WorldCat); FHL Film 1320577; FHL Book 970.1 Sm69b.
- Kappler, Charles J. Indian Affairs: Laws and Treaties. Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office, 1902. 7 volumes. WorldCat 74490963; FHL book 970.1 K142i. Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: (a) Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529, (b) Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of "Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups", (c) Map of "Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups", (d) Map of "Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups", (e) Maps of "State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations". WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
Fort Laramie in Wyoming on the Oregon Trail (painting)
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- National Archives, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA): (Record Group 75) 1793-1989: Overview of Records Locations in Guide to Federal Records (accessed 1 August 2015).
- Prucha, Francis Paul. Atlas of American Indian Affairs. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 1991 WorldCat 257331735; FHL book 970.1 P95aa
- Prucha, Francis Paul, ed. Documents of United States Indian Policy. 3rd Edition. Lincoln, Nebraska: Univeresity of Nebraska Press, 2000. WorldCat 50416280; FHL book 970.1 P95d.
- Prucha, Francis Paul. Guide to the Military Posts of the United States, 1789-1895. Madison, Wisconsin: State Historical Society of Wisconsin, c1964. WorldCat 522839; FHL book 973 M2pf.
- Schmeckebier, Laurance F. The Office of Indian Affairs: Its History, Activities, and Organization. Service Monographs of the United States Government; no. 48. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Press, 1927. Reprint. New York: AMS Press, 1972. WorldCat 257893; FHL book 973 B4b v. 48.
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .