Alsager, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Alsager, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Great Boughton|
|Registration District||Great Boughton|
|Parish registers: 1639|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ALSAGER, is a chapelry, in the parish of Barthomley, the union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, it is 4 miles (W.) from Church-Lawton. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Alsager Christ Church was bult as a chapel of ease for the Ancient parish of Barthomley.
The church was built in 1789–90 at the expense of three "Ladies of the Manor of Alsager", Mary, Margaret and Judith Alsager to a design by Thomas Stringer. It was a chapel of ease to St Bertoline's Church, Barthomley and became a parish church in 1946. To celebrate the centenary of the church a new organ was acquired and dedicated in 1889.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Alsager parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Alsager Online Parish Records|
|FMP Diocese PRs||1538-1911||1538-1910||1538-1911|
|FMP Diocese BTs||1576-1906||1576-1906||1576-1906|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Cheshire Archives and Local Studies.
Alsagar was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Barthomley, St. Bertoline (C of E).
- Alsager, Christ Church (C of E). Built in 1789 as a chapel to Barthomley, and assigned to the township of Alsager in 1852, becoming a separate parish in 1946.
- Alsager, St. Mary Magdalene (C of E). Built in 1898 as a new parish church for Alsager.
- Bishop's transcripts for Christ Church in Alsager, 1789-1842.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Alsager, St. Gabriel (Roman Catholic). Built in 1955.
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Chapel Lane/Hassall Road. Built in 1834, rebuilt in 1852.
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Crewe Road. Built in 1862, closed in 1969. .
- Alsager, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Wesley Place/Lawton Road. Built in 1869.
- Alsager, United Reformed Church (formerly Independent/Congregational). Built in 1877
- Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, baptisms 1838-1956. Localities include Sandbach, Sandbach Heath, Alsager, Elton, Bradwall, Smallwood, Warmingham, Betchton, Coppenhall, Odd Rode, Crewe, Congleton, Lawton, Nantwich, Biddulph, Ettiley Heath, Thurlwood, Rode Heath, Willaston, Sproston, Hassall, Haslington, and Elworth.
- Alsager Primitive Methodist, baptisms 1863-1967.
An index for Cheshire Non-conformist records is available online in Record Search at FamilySearch.org. It includes the Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Methodist Circuit baptisms.
Here is a list of parish registers on microfilm at theFamily History Library in Salt Lake City.
|Sandbach and Alsager Wesleyan Circuit,
|BRITISH 2299550 Item 7|
|Alsager Primitive Methodist,
|BRITISH 2299417 Item 14|
The following records are in the collection of The National Archives, Kew, London:
- Alsager, Chapel Lane Methodist Chapel, 1911-1968 Minutes, accounts. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 206.)
A chapel was built in Chapel Lane, now Hassall Road, by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1834. This became the Sunday School when the new chapel was built in 1852. Extent 11 files:
- Alsager, Crewe Road Methodist Chapel, 1863-1973. Registers, minutes, records related to the chapel buildings. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 207.) The chapel was built by the Primitive Methodists in 1862, closed in 1969 and subsequently sold. Extent 7 files. Access restricted for 50 years, accept registers: 
- Alsager Wesley Place Methodist Chapel, 1869-1973. Minutes, accounts, records related to the chapel and school buildings. (Cheshire Record Office Reference EMS 208.) The chapel was built in Lawton Road by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1869. Extent 15 files. Access restricted for 50 years:
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Alsager on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 44-49. Date accessed: 8 Nov 2013.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 58–59, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 95, ISBN 0 907768 18 0