Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Alcorn County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Alcorn County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||15 April, 1870 from Tippah and Tishomingo Counties|
|Address|| Alcorn County Courthouse|
PO Box 112;
Corinth, MS 38834-0112
Alcorn County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Biography
- 5.5 Cemeteries
- 5.6 Census
- 5.7 Church Records
- 5.8 Court
- 5.9 Directories
- 5.10 Genealogy
- 5.11 Land and Property
- 5.12 Local Histories
- 5.13 Maps
- 5.14 Military
- 5.15 Naturalization
- 5.16 Newspapers
- 5.17 Obituaries
- 5.18 Occupations
- 5.19 Probate Records
- 5.20 Schools
- 5.21 Taxation
- 5.22 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Alcorn County, Mississippi Record Dates
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Corinth – Record Loss in 1917.
- Hardeman County, Tennessee
- Hardin County, Tennessee
- McNairy County, Tennessee
- Alcorn County Biographies MSGenWeb Project
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1880 - 1880 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- Alcorn County Census and Tax Lists MSGenWeb Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- 1875-76 Corinth City Directory MSGenWeb Project
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Alcorn County Land Records MSGenWeb Project
Local histories are available for Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1643-1947)
- Map drawn by Fredra Wilbanks in 1983 of Old Tishomingo County (now Alcorn, Prentiss and Tishomingo counties) MSGenWeb Project
- Undated Map of Alcorn County Community Schools MSGenWeb Project
- 1862 Map of Corinth MSGenWeb Project
- Map of Hinkle Community (early families, but mostly the 1920's and 30's) MSGenWeb Project
- Congressional Medal of Honor Winners From Mississippi USGenWeb Archives
War of 1812
- War of 1812 Database USGenWeb Archives
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company I.
- - 9th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company I.
- Alcorn County Military Records MSGenWeb Project
Civil War Battles
The following Civil War Battles were fought in Alcorn County:
- April 29-June 10, 1862 = Corinth
- October 3-4, 1862 = Corinth
- Map Showing Civil War Battles in Mississippi
World War I
World War II
- McPeters Funeral Home Records - World War II Veterans MSGenWeb Project
- Mississippi Index World War II Enlistees Listed by County - USGenWeb Archives
- Mississippi Korean War Casualty List USGenWeb Archives
- Mississippi Korean War POW/MIA Database USGenWeb Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Alcorn County Obituaries MSGenWeb Project
Probate records are held by the Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Alcorn County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
- Selected Alcorn County Wills MSGenWeb Project
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776-1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1850 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1867-1895 - Alcorn County Marriage Index 1867-1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1900 Alcorn County Mississippi 1870-1900 computer indexed marriage records
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Alcorn County Genealogy Society
P.O. Box 1808
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alcorn County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Alcorn County, MSGenWeb Project
- Alcorn County, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Alcorn County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012)
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August 2012))
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.