Alaska Archives and Libraries
|Alaska Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- 1 Wiki Articles on Major Repositories in Alaska
- 2 Archives
- 3 Libraries
- 4 Societies
Wiki Articles on Major Repositories in Alaska
Suzallo and Allen Library, Univ. of Washington · Alaska State Archives · Alaska State Library · University of Alaska, Anchorage · University of Alaska, Fairbanks · Anchorage Municipal Library · National Archives at Seattle · Family History Library · Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park Seattle · Library and Archives Branch Whitehorse, YT · Quesnel and District Museum, Quesnel, BC
The archives, libraries, and societies listed below have collections or services helpful to genealogical researchers.
The Anchorage Museum connects people, expands perspectives, and encourages global dialogue about the North and its distinct environment.
Documents and materials generated by the United States Federal Government offices and courts for the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Alaska are preserved here. Search the National Archives Catalog for information about the records that have been digitized.
- The National Archives holds Federal military service records from the Revolutionary War to 1912 in the National Archives Building in Washington, D.C. See details of holdings.
- Military records from WWI - present are held in the National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC), in St. Louis, Missouri, See details of holdings.
- The National Archives does not hold state militia records. For these records, you will need to contact the appropriate State Archives.
395 Whittier Street, Juneau, AK 99801
Genealogical Society of Southeastern Alaska
P.O. Box 6313
Ketchikan, AK 99901
Two helpful guides to Alaska records are:
- Ulibarri, George S. Documenting Alaskan History: Guide to Federal Archives Relating to Alaska. Fairbanks, Alaska: University of Alaska Press, 1982. FHL fiche 6101864; book 979.8 A3u
- University of Washington (Seattle) Library. The Dictionary Catalog of the Pacific Northwest Collection of the University of Washington (Seattle) Libraries. Six Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: G.K. Hall and Company, 1972. FHL books 979.7 A3w v. 1 – 6