Alabama Vital Records Online
Alabama Quick Links:
- Alabama Loose Records Index by the Alabama Genealogical Society and Alabama Department of Archives and History - Free
- The Social Security Death Index (SSDI) - Free
- Alabama Databases from Rootsweb.org - Free
- USGenWeb.org Alabama Site - Free
- Record Search look through the USA Collections for Alabama - Free
- Vital Records Search and Information Directory for Alabama - Free/$
- Wee Monster Links for Alabama Birth & Marriage and Death Records - Free/$
- Linkpendium Links for Alabama Genealogy and History, including individual Counties - Free/$
- Ancestry.com Alabama Birth, Marriage & Death Records - $
- Address to Order Alabama Certificates - $
Online Sources for Birth, Marriage, and Death Records
The following is a list of online resources useful for locating Alabama Vital Records which consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. Check Alabama Vital Records Online for more information about the resources listed below. Most online resources for Alabama Vital Records are indexes. After locating a person in an index always consult the original record to confirm the information in the index. Just because information is in print, does not make it true and accurate. Indexes and compiled records have errors and if possible, original records should always be consulted.
Order a Certificate
You may send for a copy of original records by contacting the Alabama Department of Public Health. There are links for Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates, Divorce Certificates, and Old Vital Records Indexes. The Alabama Department of Public Health has detailed information for obtaining copies from the State of Alabama.
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Alabama Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Alabama Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Alabama Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Alabama Quick Links Explained
The following online sites may assist you in your search for Alabama Vital Records. Free sites are listed first, followed by sites with partial free and fee-based access to their collections, then finally fee-based sites are listed that charge a fee for searching most of their vital record databases.
- Alabama Loose Records Index was created by the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Contents are mostly estate, guardianship, marriage or divorce cases. Microfilm may be purchased for $40 or, after finding an individual, the FHL film number is listed and may be available to be viewed at a local family history center - Free
- The Social Security Death Index (SSDI) is online and contains records of deaths for those who had social security numbers and the death was reported to the United States Social Security Administration. Most records start in 1962, but the file does contain a few records of deaths from 1942 until 1961.
- Rootsweb.org is the Free portion of Ancestry.com. Vital Record Links for Alabama are mixed in with all databases for the State. Free
- USGenWeb.org - The USGenWeb is dedicated to gathering genealogical data and providing free access for every county and state of the United States. At USGenWeb.org there is a link for each of the 50 states. The state pages, including Alabama have links to each of the counties of that state. Take time to explore the counties and states related to your research and check back from time to time for new content. Free
- Record Search- The free FamilySearch Record Search-Pilot Site contains the published results of the FamilySearch's project to digitize and offer free genealogical and family history indexes and records online for Alabama and the World. New Collections are published frequently. Bookmark this site and check back often. Free
- Vital Records Search and Information Directory for Alabama
- Wee-Monster - Vital Records on Wee-Monster are separated into a collection of Links for U.S. Birth & Marriage Records online and U.S. Death Records online. This alphabetized collection for the United States includes some Alabama Vital Records. Some of these links are free. Free/$
- Linkpendium.com With a rapidly growing collection of links, Linkpendium.com offers over 8 million genealogy links including the United States, state-wide Alabama links and separate links for each county. Some of these links are free. Free/$
To find records for Alabama on this site, try pressing the "Ctrl" and 'F" keys at the same time then perform a search for Alabama or AL. Some of these links are free. Free/$
- Ancestry.com - A collection of indexed Alabama Vital Records may be found in the collection of Alabama Historical Records at Ancestry.com. Users may sign up for a 14 day trial but there is a fee to view records after the trial period. Contact your local library, genealogy society, archives, or Family History Center to see if they offer free public access to Ancestry.com. $