|Alabama Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Many Alabama genealogy periodicals are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History website.
Major genealogical periodicals for Alabama are:
- The Alabama Genealogical Register. 1959–1968.
- This periodical is indexed and contains abstracts of marriage, cemetery, probate, and census records.
- Alabama Genealogical Society Magazine. 1967–.
- Included are abstracts of newspapers and census, marriage, military, court, and cemetery records.
- AlaBenton Genealogical Society Quarterly. 1984–.
- This contains abstracts of court, land, cemetery, marriage, and census records for northeastern Alabama counties.
- Published by the AlaBenton Genealogical Society, c/o Anniston-Calhoun County Public Library, P.O. Box 308, Anniston, Alabama 36202. (Family History Library book 976.163 B2a.) Most of the volumes are indexed.
- Central Alabama Genealogical Society Quarterly. 1974–.
- They have a surname registration file and a surname index. It includes pedigree charts and queries and abstracts of probate, land, cemetery, military, and marriage records for central Alabama counties.
- Published by the Central Alabama Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 125, Selma, Alabama 36702–0125. (Family History Library book 976.1 B2c.)
- Deep South Genealogical Quarterly. 1963–.
- This quarterly contains abstracts of census, Bible, military, church, and marriage records.
- Published by the Mobile Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 6224, Mobile, Alabama 36660-6224. (Family History Library book 976.122 B2d.) There is a surname index to volumes 1–10 and individual indexes to the subsequent volumes.
- Natchez Trace Traveler. 1981–.
- This publishes abstracts of church, cemetery, court, probate, and marriage records and tax lists of northwest Alabama counties.
- Published by the Natchez Trace Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 420, Florence, Alabama 35631-0420. (Family History Library book 976.1 D25n.) It includes membership and surname lists, but there is no index for each volume.
- Pioneer Trails. 1959–.
- It includes pedigree charts of ancestors and abstracts of census, marriage, and cemetery records.
- Published by the Birmingham Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2432, Birmingham, Alabama 35201. (Family History Library book 976.178 B2p.) Formerly Pioneers. Formerly Birmingham Genealogical Society. This has a cumulative index to 1970 and individual indexes after that.
- Settlers of Northeast Alabama. 1962–1980.
- This periodical includes abstracts of land grant, Bible, census, cemetery, and marriage records.
- Published by the Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 674, Gadsden, Alabama 35902. (Family History Library book 976.1 B2s.) Most volumes are indexed.
- Southeast Alabama Genealogical Society (Quarterly). 1985–1997.
- Dothan, Alabama: Southeast Alabama Genealogical Society. (Family History Library book 976.1 B2sa.) This source continues under the title Wiregrass Roots (see below).
- Tap Roots. 1963–.
- Each volume contains an index and abstracts of marriage, census, cemetery, church, family, and Bible records for eastern Alabama counties.
- Published by the Genealogical Society of East Alabama, P.O. Box 2892 Drawer 1351, Opelika, Alabama 36830–2892. (Family History Library book 976.1 B2ta.)
- Valley Leaves. 1966–.
- This periodical publishes abstracts of newspapers and death, probate, court, land, military, and census records for the northern counties of Alabama.
- Wiregrass Roots. 1997–.
- In addition to queries, this periodical contains abstracts of newspapers and cemetery, marriage, and census records. Some volumes contain an index.
- Published by the Southeast Alabama Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 246, Dothan, Alabama 363022–0246. (Family History Library book 976.1 B2sa.) Formerly Southeast Alabama Genealogical Society Quarterly.
The Alabama Historical Society prints a periodical with some useful information to genealogists:
- Transactions of the Alabama Historical Society.
- Alabama Historical Quarterly - 119 issues (1930-1982) available online.
Family History Library Collection
Periodicals are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- ALABAMA - PERIODICALS
- ALABAMA - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
- ALABAMA - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
- ALABAMA, [COUNTY] - HISTORY - PERIODICALS