Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Jefferson, Alabama, United States|
|Flag of Alabama|
|Location of Jefferson, Alabama|
|Location of Alabama|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes court records from 1870 to 1916. These records from the Jefferson County Circuit Court are loose papers pertaining to disputed estates and property. The collection includes some divorce records.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
These records include:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Place of residence
- Names of witnesses
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- Residence or date of the event
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the County
- Select the Record Type and Volume to view the image
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information found in the court papers to find other records such as birth, christening, census, land and death records
- Search for additional family members in the court papers
- Search other county records for the family
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
- Consult the Alabama Record Finder to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used
- Collection Citation
"Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Jefferson County Circuit Court, Birmingham.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.