Aitkin County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Aitkin County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Aitkin County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Aitkin County Courthouse|
209 2nd Street NW
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for William Alexander Aitken, a fur trader for the American Fur Company, under John Jacob Astor. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Aitkin County, Minnesota Record Dates
Aitkin County Government
209 2nd Street NW
Aitkin, MN 56431-1297
Clerk District Court has birth records from 1883,
marriage records from 1885, death records from 1887,
divorce records from 1886, probate, court and
naturalization records from 1885.
County Recorder has land records. 
- Crow Wing County was formed later same day from Aitkin County.
- Named for William Alexander Aitkin, a fur trader for the American Fur Company, under John Jacob Astor. A brief history of William Alexander Aitkin can be found on the Minnesota Historical Society Place Name page. (Select Aitkin County.)
- The county originally had 17 townships closest to the Mille Lacs Lake.
- Sometime between 1857 and 1871, the county acquired the out-lands of Itasca and Pine Counties to its north and east.
- The county was reorganized in 1871, taking the lands from Cass and Itasca counties and losing a point located in southwest corner to Crow Wing county.
For animated maps illustrating Minnesota County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Minnesota County Boundary Maps" (1849-1960) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Cities: Aitkin . Hill City . McGrath . McGregor . Palisade . Tamarack
Townships: Aitkin . Ball Bluff . Balsam . Beaver . Clark . Cornish . Farm Island . Fleming . Glen . Haugen . Hazelton . Hill Lake . Idun . Jevne . Kimberly . Lakeside . Lee . Libby . Logan . Macville . Malmo . McGregor . Millward . Morrison . Nordland . Pliny . Rice . Salo . Seavey . Shamrock . Spalding . Spencer . Turner . Verdon . Wagner . Waukenabo . Wealthwood . White Pine . Williams . Workman
Unorganized Townships: Davidson . Jewett . Northeast Aitken . Northwest Aitken
Communities: Arthyde . Ball Bluff . Bennettville . Cutler . East Lake (Minisinaakwaang) . Giese . Glen . Glory . Haypoint . Jacobson . Kimberly . Lake Minnewawa . Lawler . Libby . Malmo . Nichols . Pliny . Rabey . Red Top . Ronald . Rossburg . Sandy Lake (Gaa-mitaawangaagamaag) . Sheshabee . Shovel Lake . Swatara . Thor . Waukenabo . Wealthwood
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, AITKIN – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Aitkin County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Aitkin County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Aitkin County Historical Society
P.O. Box 215
20 Pacific St
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Aitkin County, MN History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Minnesota Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Aitkin County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Aitkin County MNGenWeb Project, a member of The MNGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Cyndi's List: Aitkin County
- Wikipedia contributors, "Aitken County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aitkin_County,_Minnesota accessed 8 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Aitkin County, Minnesota page 362, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).