Adjutant General's Office (Regular Army)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
National Archives Record Groups[edit | edit source]
- Record Group 94 Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1780s-1917
- Record Group 407 Records of the Adjutant General's Office 1917-
- National Archives Catalog Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981, RG 407 NAID 703
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Florida in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Union Regular Army in the Civil War describes Union sources, specifically about the Union Regular Army in the Civil War, and how to find them.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lucille H. Pendell and Elizabeth Bethel. comps Preliminary Inventory of the Records of the Adjutant General's Office. Washington,DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1949 FHL Digital book
- Francis B. Heitman. Historical Register and Dictionary of the United States Army:from its Organization, September 29, 1789 - March 2, 1903. 2 vols. Washington,D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1903. FHL Digital Book