Additional French-Canadian Research Online Databases (National Institute)
The original content for this article was contributed by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies in June 2012. It is an excerpt from their course Research: French Canadian Ancestors by Louise St Denis. The Institute offers over 200 comprehensive genealogy courses for a fee ($).
Research Program in Historical Demography
Le Programme de recherche en démographie historique (The Research Program in Historical Demography) is a database of French settlers and their descendants from the beginning of colonization of New-France in the 17th century to 1799. The database expanded to include some records to 1850 and is associated with the Institut Drouin and Québec Généalogie. This database can be searched by names and includes baptisms, marriages, births, early census, immigration, notary contracts and other early records. This website has a superb index and the search results are grouped by families, making it easy to locate siblings.
For French-Canadian ancestry, early census records, as well as notary records, are available. The databases are searchable by name or by browsing images.
- Québec, notarial records, 1800-1900
- Québec, Births and Baptisms, 1662-1898
- Québec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979
- Québec, Non-Catholic Parish Registers, 1763-1967
- Québec, Québec Judicial District, Guardianships, 1639-1930
- Canada, Lower Canada Census, 1825
- Canada, Lower Canada Census, 1831
- Canada, Lower Canada Census, 1842
- Ontario, Roman Catholic Church Records, 1760-1923
The Québec Archives have several databases online, indexed by name. The databases include Archives des notaires―Québec Québec notaries’ records, from their beginnings to 1933―and Annuaires Lovell de Montréal et de sa banlieue―Lovell’s Montreal Directory, 1842-1999. Although not indexed, both have images online. The Notary records are not complete and some contain images of name indexes as well as chronological minute pages.
Other databases available include:
- Registre d’inhumation du Mount Hermon Cemetery, 1848-1904 (Register of interments in Mount Hermon Cemetery…)
- Recensements paroissiaux de Notre-Dame-de-Québec (Parish census of Notre-Dame-de-Québec)
- Tutelle et curatelle de la région de Montréal, 1791-1807 (Guardianship and trusteeship in the Montréal region…)
- Enquêtes des coroners des districts judiciaires de Beauce, 1862-1947, de Charlevoix, 1862-1944, de Montmagny, 1862-1952, de Québec, 1765-1930 et de Saint-François (Sherbrooke), 1900-1954 (Coroners’ inquests…)
- Enquêtes préliminaires du district judiciaire de Québec, 1897-1927 (Preliminary inquiries in the judicial district of Québec…)
- Événements de 1837-1838: sur les traces des Patriotes (Events of 1837-1838: In the footsteps of the Patriots)
- Demandes d’octrois gratuits de terre aux familles de 12 enfants et plus vivants, 1890-1905 (Applications for free grants of land to families with 12 living children…)
- Inventaires après décès du district judiciaire de Rimouski (CN101), 1822-1918 [(nventories after death in the judicial district of Rimouski…)
- Inventaires après décès des districts judiciaires de Québec, de Charlevoix, de Beauce, de Montmagny et de Kamouraska, 1785 -1955 (Inventories after death in the judicial districts of…)
- Inventaires après décès de la région de Montréal, 1791-1840([Inventories after death in the Montréal area…)
- Inventaire des transcriptions d’actes notariés (List of transcriptions of notarial acts)
- Contrats de mariage de Charlevoix, 1737-19201 (Marriage contracts in Charlevoix…)
- Contrats de mariage du Saguenay, 1840-1911 19201 (Marriage contracts in Saguenay…)
- Contrats de mariage de la région de Québec, 1761-1946 (Marriage contracts in the Québec City area…)
- Personnes incarcérées dans les prisons de Québec au 19e siècle (Jail logs of Québec City prisons in the 19th century)
- Baptêmes non catholiques de la région de Montréal, 1766-1835 (Non-Catholic baptisms in the Montréal area…)
- Mariages non catholiques de la région de Montréal, 1766-1899 (Non-Catholic marriages in the Montréal area…)
- Sépultures non catholiques de la région de Montréal, 1767-1899 Non-Catholic burials in the Montréal area…)
BAnQ also have the following research tools available:
- Archives des notaires du Québec des origines à 1933 / Archives of notaries of Québec origins to 1933
- AnnuairesLovell de Montréal et sa banlieue (1842-1992) / Lovell directories of Montreal and its suburbs (1842-1992)
Parchemin is a database compiled by Archiv-histo in collaboration with la Chambre des Notaires that includes a complete inventory of notarial minutes from 1626 to 1784―approximately 317,482 acts. Archives of Québec, Montreal and Trois-Rivières BAnQ centers have a computer station with access to this important database.
Library and Archives Canada
Library and Archives Canada Library and Archives Canada (LAC) has a number of indexes and databases pertaining to Québec. Some are indexes only while others have images of records also available online. The Land Petitions of Lower Canada, 1764-1841, and Gaspé Land Commission: List of names of claimants, 1819-1825 are especially useful to locate ancestors who immigrated and settled in Québec. Other databases can be found at Library and Archives Canada and include:
- Acts of Divorce, 1841-1968
- Marriage Bonds, 1779-1858 - Upper and Lower Canada
- Names appearing on lists of marriages licenses issued in Upper Canada (RG 5 B9) and Lower Canada (RG 4 B28)
- Census for Lower Canada, 1825
- Census for Lower Canada, 1831
- Census of 1842, Canada East
- Census of 1851 (Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia)
- Census of Canada for the years 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1911
- Citizenship Registration Records, 1851-1945 - Montreal Circuit Court
- Immigrants Sponsored by the Montreal Emigrant Society, 1832
- and, more…
The Fichier Origine is a database of early French settlers who came to New-France during colonization. The database includes names of the settlers, their parents, location they came from, marriage, siblings and sources of the information. Some of them also have an image of their birth/baptism parish register record.
Société de généalogie de Québec - Les compagnies franches de la Marine
Les compagnies franches de la Marine is a database that provides names of French soldiers who came to New-France to help protect the colony from its enemies. The database is searchable by name and provides results that include place of origin, the military unit, name of the ship arrived New-France on and parents’ names.
Généalogie du Québec et française d’Amérique;
The Nos Origines is a database of family trees that is searchable by name.
Launched in 1996, GeneaNet is a genealogical search engine, wiki and blog to help genealogists with their research
Information in this Wiki page is excerpted from the online courses Research: French Canadian Ancestors offered by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies. To learn more about these courses or other courses available from the Institute, see our website. We can be contacted at email@example.com
We welcome updates and additions to this Wiki page.