Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Acadia Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Acadia Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||June 30, 1886|
|Address|| 425 North Parkerson Avenue|
Crowley, LA 70526
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 Parish Places & Localities
- 4 Records and Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Land and Property
- 4.7 Local Histories
- 4.8 Maps
- 4.9 Military
- 4.10 Newspapers
- 4.11 Obituaries
- 4.12 Probate Records
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 4.15 Repositories
- 5 Societies
- 6 Websites
- 7 Thanks to the Contributors to the Acadia Parish Pages
- 8 References
The County was named for the former French colony of Acadia in Canada whom migrated to Louisiana. The County has Crowley as its seat and the County was created 1886. The County is located in the south central area of the state.
Acadia Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Acadia Parish Courthouse
PO Box 922
Crowley, LA 70527-0922
Parish Clerk of Court has records of marriages, divorces, wills, land, civil, and criminal law suits from 1886.
Acadia Parish was created 30 June 1886 from St. Landry Parish after an election to determine the parish seat, ending when Crowley beat Rayne and Prairie Hayes.
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Parish Places & Localities
Records and Resources
- http://www.usgenwebsites.org/AAGriots/ African American Griots Project] ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Turn of the Century Biographical Sketches - index. (LAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Biography Records USGenWeb Archives
- Acadia Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
The following web sites may have additional information on Acadia Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- 1890 - 1890 Veterans Schedule Index (Genealogy Trails)
- '1900 - 1900 Census, Town of Rayne (Genealogy Trails)
- 1930 - Index of Acadia Census Records (partial). (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Acadia Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
War of 1812
- Some Military Land Grants Acadia In Parish Louisiana For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
World War I
- 1917-1918 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1917-1918 - World War I Draft Registration (LAGenWeb Project)
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1950-1957 - Korean War Casualties, Acadia County, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Acadia Parish Today
- Louisiana Newspaper List ~ listing by name/parish ~ USNPL
- Louisiana Newspaper ~ listing ~ Newslink
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1800s-2014 - Index of Acadia Parish Obituaries (LAGenWeb Project)
- Acadia Parish Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Acadia Parish Obituary Records. Includes newspaper links. (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1886-1997 - Index to Court Records, Acadia Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- 1846-1890 - Acadia Parish Birth Records index. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837-1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1886-1999 - Acadia Parish Marriages by Groom Name (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1886-1999 - Acadia Parish Brides Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1887-1893 - Acadia Parish Early Marriage Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- List of Acadia Parish Marriage Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Acadia Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- Acadia Parish Miscellaneous Marriage Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Acadia Parish Deaths (Genealogy Trails)
- Acadia Parish Death Records (LAGenWeb Project)
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
POINTE DE L’EGLISE Genealogical & Historical Society
PO Box 160
Church Point, LA 70525
Rayne Historical Assn
110 W South 1st St
Websites - Acadia Parish
- Acadia Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Acadia Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Acadia Parish on n2.genealogy.com
- Acadia Parish on Kindred Trails
- Acadia Parish, La - Genealogy Forum
- Acadia Parish, Genealogy Trails
- Acadia Parish on RootsWeb
- Acadia Parish Genealogy Queries on CousinConnect.com
- Acadia Parish, Louisiana, LAGenWeb Project
- Acadia Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- Acadia Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
Websites - Louisiana and US
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb - Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
Thanks to the Contributors to the Acadia Parish Pages
Contributors are people who write and edit the pages for FamilySearch Wiki. Thanks to the following contributors for helping to build this page (in alpha order). Anyone can be a contributor. Add content today!
- Wikipedia contributors, "Acadia, Louisiana," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed.Acadia Parish, Louisiana p 289 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).