Abergwili, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy
A guide to genealogy in Abergwili, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
ABERGUILLY (ABER-GWILI), a parish, in the union of CARMARTHEN, higher division of the hundred of ELVET ... 2 miles (E. by N.) from Carmarthen, on the road to Llandilo-Vawr. The village is pleasantly situated, and the meadows in the neighbourhood are watered by the rivers Towy and Guilly, over which last is a neat substantial stone bridge of three arches. The parish abounds with roofing slate of excellent quality, of which there are two quarries at present open, affording employment to about fifty persons. The church, dedicated to St Maurice, and situated near the bank of the Towy, was made collegiate by Dr Beck, Bishop of St David's, in 1287. The church is a neat plain building, consisting of two aisles, without either tower or steeple. At Llanvihangel-uwch-Guilly is a chapel, formerly a chapel of ease. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Methodists.
For more information on Abergwili see:
- Abergwili at Genuki.
|before 31 March 1974||Carmarthenshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Carmarthenshire|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Union Records
Maps and Gazetteers
- Abergwili at Vision of Britain.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales(1849), pp. 12-25. Adapted. Date accessed: 10 January 2014.