To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland--Other Denominations

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Other Denominations

In general, nonconformity has always been strong in Aberdeenshire.

Congregational Churches[edit | edit source]

There have been several Congregational or Evangelical Union congregations in Aberdeen. The churches, in order of their dates of foundation were: George Street, 1798, Belmont Street from 1865, St. Nicholas’ from 1966, Frederick Street 1807, Dee Street from 1859, united with Blackfriars in 1871, Blackfriars Street 1820, Skene Street from 1886, united with St. Nicholas in 1974, Woodside 1821, St. Paul Street 1846, joined the Evangelical Union 1856; combined with Albion St. Albion Stree, 1852, combined with St. Paul’s in 1938 as Albion and St. Paul’s; later united with Belmont Street to form St. Nicholas’ in 1966.
Source: A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott, pub. 1960. FHL Book 941 K2es, pages 254–257. It includes further details on each congregation plus lists of ministers. See also 941 K2mwd.

Records—                                                                     FHL Book Number
Frederick Street Chapel Membership Roll 1807–1858         941.25/A1 K29L

The extent of other records is unknown. For more information, write to:
United Reformed Church Synod of Scotland
340 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BQ

Baptist Churches[edit | edit source]

A Baptist group known as the Commonwealth Church existed in Aberdeen in 1652–1654. Much later there were other Baptist congregations in Aberdeen: Academy Street, 1805–1920, Crown Terrace 1821, George Street 1848–1878, combined with Crown Terrace
Source: History of the Baptists in Scotland, by Rev. George Yuille, pub. 1926. FHL Book 941 K2hi, pp. 89–92. It includes a detailed History of the Crown Terrace church.

The extent of records is unknown. For information write to:
Baptist Union of Scotland
12 Aytown Road
Glasgow G41 5RT, Scotland

Methodist Societies and Chapels[edit | edit source]

The origin of Methodism in Aberdeen is wrapped in obscurity but it was undoubtedly due to the preaching of traveling ministers including Christopher Hopper and Dr. Memyss of Wrexham, who came to Aberdeen about 1747. A society was probably formed soon after. An octagonal chapel was built in Aberdeen in 1764–1765, and it was the first in Scotland. By the end of 1773, Methodism had already entrenched itself in Old Meldrum, Inverurie, Newburgh, and Peterhead, and the Aberdeen Circuit was for many years the largest in Scotland. Between 1751 and 1844, societies were also formed in Fraserburgh, Printfield, Huntly, Ellon, Auchmill, Bethelmie, Kintore, Kirktown of Bourtie, Fordie, Cove, Bucksburn, Cothal Mills, Daviot, and Hatton of Fintray, but none of these survived.
Source:  Methodism in Scotland, by Wesley F. Swift, pub. 1947. FHL Book 941 K2sw.

The extent of records is unknown. For information, write to:
Methodist Archives and Research Centre
John Rylands University Library of Manchester
150 Deansgate
Manchester M3 3EH, England

Aberdeen Unitarian Church[edit | edit source]

This church was founded in 1833 and a place of worship built on George Street in 1840. The present church was opened in 1906. This congregation is still active today.

The extent of records is unknown. Write to the church at:
Aberdeen Unitarian Church
43a Skene Terrace
Aberdeen AB10 1RN, Scotland

Episcopal Churches and Chapels[edit | edit source]

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church[edit | edit source]

Following the Scottish Revolution in 1688, the minister of St. Nicholas parish church continued to adhere to the Episcopal Church for which he was imprisoned in 1695. His sentence was repealed in 1703 and he administered to his congregation at Trinity Church until he died in 1718. The church on St. Paul’s street was erected in 1722. It was a collegiate church until 1853. St. Paul’s was perhaps the wealthiest Episcopal congregation in Scotland. Regular attendance was between 3000 and 4000 persons, excluding children, who mostly lived in Aberdeen City and the rest in outlying areas.
Source: The Miscellany of the New Spalding Club, vol. 2 section ii. FHL Book 941 H2new vol. 2 and a History of the Scottish Episcopal Church, by John P. Lawson, pub. 1843. A copy of this source is not available at FHL.

Records—                                                    FHL Call Number
Baptisms 1720–1737                                      Book 941.25/A1 V26s
Births and Marriages 1720–1793                      Book 941 H2new, vol. 2, section ii
Births, Marriages, and Deaths 1720–1865         Film 0241993
Marriages 1767–1840                                      Book 941.25/A1 V26a
Monumental Inscriptions                                  Book 941.25 B2a, vol. 2, pp. 180–1, 302–304

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Chapel[edit | edit source]

This congregation has existed since the Revolution of 1688. The present church was built in 1817. The congregation was supposed to number 1400 and were widely scattered. A Sunday school was attended by 140 to 150 people and was open to all denominations. St. Andrews is the cathedral church of the diocese.
Source:  History of the Scottish Episcopal Church, by John P. Lawson, pub. 1843. A copy of this source is not available at the Family History Library.

Records—                             FHL Call Number
Monumental Inscriptions          FHL Book 941.25 B2a, vols. 3 and 4, various pages

Note: The extent of additional records is unknown. For more information, write to the diocesan office at:
39 King’s Crescent
Aberdeen AB24 3HP

St. John’s Episcopal Chapel[edit | edit source]

This church was established in 1812, though the records pre-date them. There was also a Sunday school.
Source:  History of the Scottish Episcopal Church, by John P. Lawson, pub. 1843. A copy of this source is not available at Family History Library.

Records—                                          FHL Call Number
Register of Baptisms 1778–1855           Book 941.25/A1 V26j, also film 0908173 item 4
Monumental Inscriptions                       Book 941.25 B2a, vol. 2, pp. 288–290, 298–299

St. Clement’s Episcopal Chapel[edit | edit source]

It was first built as a mission church in the slums of the Aberdeen docks in the early 1800s.

Records—                               FHL Call Number
Monumental Inscriptions            941.25 B2a, vol. 1 p. 142

Note: For further information about records, write to the diocesan office, address given on the previous page.

Aberdeen Catholic Church[edit | edit source]

The congregation was founded about 1774. The church was built on Justice Street in 1843 and dedicated to St. Peter. There were also two chapels, one in old Aberdeen and the other in Castlegate.
Source:  Catholic Missions and Registers, 1700–1880, by Michael Gandy, pub. 1993. FHL Book Ref 942 K24gm vol. 6.

Records—                                                                   FHL Call Number
Burials in Snow Churchyard 1776–1876                          Film 1473779 - pg 148
Burials 1700–1900 and Burial Briefs 1776–1902               Book 941.25 V22s
Register of Baptisms 1782–1812, 1816–1826, 1831–1879
Register of Marriages 1782–1793, 1839–1945
Register of Confirmations 1782–1798
Register of Communicants 1782–1798
Note: Record RH21/10 – now available online for a fee at

Society of Friends, Quakers[edit | edit source]

The Quakers of the area seem to have originated about 1647, but they first acquired a burial ground and a meeting house in Gallowgate in 1672. A school was established in the meeting house in 1682. Meetings were held irregularly until about 1688. A new meeting house was acquired in Quakers Court, Guest Row in 1800. They moved again to new premises on Diamond Street in 1825. The present meeting house was built in 1902 on Crown Street.
Source:  The Quaker Meeting Houses of Britain, vol. 2, by David M. Butler of the Friends Historical Society. FHL Book 942 K24bd, vol. 2

Records—                                                                                    FHL Film Number
Monthly Meeting, Births, Marriages, Burials, 1647–1728                    0441406 item 3
Registers of Births, Marriage Proposals, Marriages, and 
      Deaths for all of Scotland, 1647–1878                                        0823635 item 1
                                                                                                    also book 941 V26q

Aberdeen Branch, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter–day Saints[edit | edit source]


Records—                                        FHL Film Number
Record of members 1841–1948           0104149 item 1

Return to main Aberdeen page.