Aberdaron, Gwynedd, Wales Genealogy
ABERDARON (ABER-DARON), a parish, in the union of Pwllheli, hundred of Commitmaen, Lleyn division of the county of Carnarvon, North Wales, 13 miles (W. S. W.) from Pwllheli. This parish, which is situated on the extreme point of the peninsula of Lleyn, the Promontorium Langanum of Ptolemy, derives its name from the small river Daron, which here falls into the sea, off Bardsey Race. The old church, dedicated to St. Hyrwyn, a saint of the island of Bardsey, was formerly collegiate, and had the privilege of sanctuary. A new church was erected, situated about half a mile in a northern direction, from the old one. It was consecrated on the 28th of September, 1841, and is a plain building, sixty-six feet long, and thirty-four broad, with two turrets at the western end. There are several places of worship for dissenters.
In 1868: "ABERDARON, a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, in the county of Carnarvon, North-Wales, 14 miles S.W. of Pwllheli. It is situated, as its name indicates, at the mouth of the river Daron, at the extremity of the peninsula of Lleyn, and opposite to Bardsey Island. On this island a famous monastery once existed which used to attract a large number of pilgrims. Aberdaron was the usual place of embarkation for the island, and was much frequented by the pilgrims. On the highest ground a chapel was erected, Capel Vair, or "Chapel of Our Lady," in which it was customary to invoke the protection of the Virgin before passing over to the island. There was also another chapel at a little distance from the former, and near the shore, named Capel-Anlaaelog. These have both shared the destiny of the monastery to which they were related, and have fallen into decay." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
For more information on Aberdaron see Genuki - Aberdaron
|circa 1536 - 31 March 1974||Caernarfonshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Gwynedd|
|from 1 April 1996||Gwynedd|
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1846). Adapted. Date accessed: 29 Aug 2014.