A Comprehensive List of Prescot Parish Chapelries
Return to "Lancashire Parishes" page.
PRESCOT, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands 8 miles east by north of Liverpool. a church, three dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a grammar school, a public lending library, a floral and horticultural society, a harmonic society, several endowed alms-houses, and aggregate charities £898. The town includes all Prescot township, and part of Eccleston township, and the towns of Whiston, Rain-hill, Sutton, Parr, Windle, Rainford, Bold, Widnes, Ditton, Cronton (which had at one time, 31 Nonconformist chapels--mostly Welsh in this area), Great Sankey, Cuerdley, and Penketh.
Prescot was ecclesiastically divided into the following towns outside of Prescot township, but within its civil parish boundary:
- Farnworth - 1538
- Hough Green (Ditton) - 1870
- St Helen's Christ Church 1839 - see Eccleston
- Sutton St Nicholas - 1849
- Whiston - 1865
- Widnes St Mary - 1856
Some of Prescot's chapelry registers are being indexed and posted online at the Lancashire "Online Parish Clerk" project.
The website, "A Church Near You" provides some information on some chapelries (and parishes): www.achurchnearyou.com
Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, by Youngs, Frederic A. Pub: The Royal Historical Society, London 1991
Topographical Dictionary of England. Lewis Samuel. Pub: Samuel A. Lewis & Co. London 1841
A Comprehensive Gazetteer of England 18 . by Bell, James. A. Pub.: Fullarton & Co. Glasgow 1836
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. by A. Fullarton & Co. Glasgow and London ca. 1869 (see www.visionofBritain.org.uk)