A Comprehensive List of Kirkham Parishes and Chapelries
KIRKHAM (St. Michael), a market-town and parish, in the union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing 11,604 inhabitants, of whom 2903 are in the town, 9 miles (W. by N.) from Preston, 22 (S. by W.) from Lancaster, and 226 (N. W. by N.) from London. From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 697-701.
Here is a list of all Kirkham (parish) chapelries lying within Kirkham's civil parish boundaries; these chapelries were normally smaller church units which kept registers of baptisms, marriages (some) and burials:
- Kirkham St Michael - 1539
- Barton - 1850 - which lies partly in Preston, Garstang and Lancaster parishes, as well as in Kirkham Parish.
- Hambleton -1695
- Goosnargh - 1639
- Great & Little Singleton - 1841
- Lund - 1840
- Ribby upon Wrea - 1847
- Warton - 1848 - the Bishop's transcripts for the years 1733 to 1847 are missing; the whereabouts of the parish registers preceding 1848 are not known.
- Weeton - 1850 - marriages only
- Whitechapel - 1819
Some of Kirkham's chapelry registers have also been indexed and posted online at the Lancashire "Online Parish Clerk" project.
The website, "A Church Near You" provides some information on some chapelries (and parishes): www.achurchnearyou.com
Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, by Youngs, Frederic A. Pub: The Royal Historical Society, London 1991
Topographical Dictionary of England. Lewis Samuel. Pub: Samuel A. Lewis & Co. London 1841
A Comprehensive Gazetteer of England. Bell, James. A. Pub.: Fullarton & Co. Glasgow 1836
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. A. Fullarton & Co. Glasgow and London ca. 1869 (see www.visionofBritain.org.uk)