9th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
This regiment was organized at Jackson, Tennessee, in May, 1861. At Chickamauga On April 26, 1865, the 9th Regiment surrendered about 40 men. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain Henry L. Douglass, W.S. (or H.) Scott, G.W. Parritt, (or Parrott), W.N. Wilkerson, C.N. Kerr, J.B. Locke - "The Dancyville Grays" - Men from Haywood County, and Fayette County.
- Company B - Captain Robert S. Russell, J.W. Hubbard - "The haywood Rifles" - Men from Brownsville, Haywood County.
- Company C - Captain David J. Wood, Charles B. Simonton, James I. Hall - "Southern Confederates" - Men from Clopton's Camp Ground, Tipton County.
- Company D - Captain Charles S. Hurt, W.H. Morgan, Henry C. Irby - Men from Haywood County and Hardeman Counties.
- Company E - Captain Thomas Epperson, John Brown, R.H. Harrison - Men from Shelby County.
- Company F - Captain Samuel H. White, J.M. Park, unius L. Hall, F.A. Harris - "The Middleton Tigers" - Men from Hardeman County.
- Company G - Captain Bradford Edwards, A.C. Gardner, A.M. Boyd - "The Hickory Blues" - Men from Weakley County.
- Company H - Captain John W. Buford, J.W. McDonald - "The Obion Avalanche" - Men from Troy, Obion County.
- Company I - Captain H.A. Rogers, D.E. Cox, Samuel P. Rose - "The Memphis Rangers" - Men from Memphis, Shelby County.
- Company K - Captain Joe C. Marley, P.N. Conner - Men from Lauderdale County.
- Company L - Captain W.J. Lyle - "The Dancyville Rebels" - Men from Haywood County.
The information about the companies is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 19 Nov 2011).
Company A - many men from Fayette County
Company D (Captain C. S. Hust) - many men from Fayette County
Company L (Captain W. J. Lyle) - later consolidated with Company D
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories of Tennessee, vol. 11.
Was organized May 22, 1862 at Camp Beauregard, Jackson, Tennessee
Company F (Middleton Tigers) Captain S. H. White - many men from Middleton. Hardeman County
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories of Tennessee, Vol 11.
Company G (Hickory Blues)
Company H (Obion Avalanche) Captain J. W. Buford
The information above is from The Goodspeed History of Tennessee, Vol 12.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Duke, Basil Wilson. History of Morgan's Cavalry. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983), FHL film 1033973 Item 4 also on World Cat and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082245
- Fleming, James R. (James Robert). Band of brothers : Company C, 9th Tennessee Infantry. FHL book 976.8 M2fj and The Ninth Tennessee Infantry : a roster (Shippensburg, Pennsylvania : White Mane, c1996), FHL book 976.8 M2f
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls of the 9th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 267.
- 9th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 19 Nov 2011). Brief history and organization.
- 9th Tennessee Infantry at the Battle of Stone's River, (accessed 19 Nov 2011).
- The Ninth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 28 Dec 2011).
- The Dancyville Grays, Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls Ninth Tennessee Infantry Company A, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).