9th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
The 9th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Providence May 26, 1862 It was mustered out September 2, 1862.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 9th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 9th Rhode Island Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company L - Captain John H. Powel - most men from the island of Rhode Island.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Spicer, William A.- History of the ninth and tenth regiments Rhode Island volunteers and the tenth Rhode Island battery: in the Union Army in 1862 (Providence [Rhode Island] : Snow & Farnham, 1892), FHL book 974.5 M2s and FHL film 1035739 Item 9 and The high school boys of the Tenth R. I. Regiment : with a roll of teachers and students of the Providence High School, who served in the Army of Navy of the United States during the rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083369
- Civil War in the East- Historical timeline of the 9th Rhode Island Infantry Regiment in the American Civil War
- Brown's in the Civil War from Rhode Island- a list of people with surname of Brown.
- Mattesons in the Civil War- a list of people with the surname of Mattesons who served in the Civil War.
- Spooner Generations - a list of people with the surname of Spooner who served in the Civil War.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)
- Richard M. Bayles, History of Newport County, Rhode Island, (New York, New York : L.E. Preston, 1888), p. 426. Internet Archive digital version.