96th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 96th Regiment was organized at Camp Delaware, Ohio, August 29, 1862. It mustered out July 7, 1865, possibly at Mobile, Alabama, since it had duty at Mobile in July.
For more information about the 96th Regiment and its history, see:
- Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry Web site includes history, roster, organization, roll of honor, cemeteries, biographies, archives, and references. List of companies and county of origin. Rosters of companies.
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War web site. 96th Ohio Infantry.
- The Civil War Archive section, 96th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 5 September 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- 96th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases.
- Bartlett, Robert Franklin. Roster of the Ninety-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1862- 1865. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988) FHL Film 1688773 Item 2 and FHL fiche 6118246 Digital version on Internet Archive.
- J. T. Woods. Services of the Ninety-Sixth Ohio Volunteers, (Microfiche of original published: Toledo, Ohio ; Blade Print. and Paper Co., 1874). viii, 247 p. Includes rosters on p. 158-244. Google book. FHL Collection FHL fiche 6118247 (3 fiche); FHL book 977.1 M25w.
- Robert F. Bartlett. Roster of the Ninety-Sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1862-1865, (Microfilm of original published: Columbus, Ohio, 1895.) 179 p. Google book. FHL Collection film 1688773 Item 2; FHL Collection fiche 6118246 (2 fiche).
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 96th. Roster of the Survivors and Widows of Deceased Comrades of the Ninety-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers.(1862-1865) (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988.) FHL film 1688772 Item 11
- Woods, Joseph Thatcher. Services of the Ninty-sixth Ohio volunteers. (Toledo, Ohio : Blade Print. and Paper Co., 1874), FHL book 977.1 M25w and Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118247
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).
- N N Hill, Jr, History of Knox County Ohio, (Mt Vernon, Ohio, A A Graham & Co, Publishers, 1881), page 319.- Internet Archives
- N N Hill, Jr, History of Knox County Ohio, (Mt Vernon, Ohio, A A Graham & Co, Publishers, 1881), page 320.- Internet Archives
- Ray E. Buckingham, Delaware County Then and Now: an informal history (Ohio: Historybook, 1976) p. 215.
- The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county its townships, towns ... military record, (Chicago: W.H. Beers: 1883), part IV, page 500. Digital version: Internet Archive, accessed 4 December 2012.
- Ninety Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Ninety Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, see Organization section (accessed 10 November 2010).