83rd Regiment, New York Infantry
The men in the 83rd Regiment, New York Infantry volunteered for three years' service. They left New York City for Washington, D. C., May 27, 1861, and mustered in at Washington June 8, 1861. The regiment was mustered out at New York City June 23, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 83rd Regiment Infantry "9th Regiment State Militia Infantry" "City Guard". (accessed 10 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The regiment principally recruited at New York City.
Company K - principally recruited at (Rahway), Union County, New Jersey
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Hussey, George A. History of the ninth regiment : N.Y.S.M - N.G.S.N.Y., (eighty-third N.Y. volunteers), 1845-1888. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990) FHL Fiche 6049557and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992)FHL Fiche 6083774
- Jaques, John W. (John Wesley).Three years' campaign of the Ninth, N. Y. S. M., during the Southern rebellion. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083772
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Potter, Orlando B. (Orlando Brunson). Oration of Hon. Orlando B. Potter : on the dedication of the monument erected by the Ninth Regiment, N. G. S. N. Y., Eighty-Third N. Y. Volunteers, Sunday, July 1st, 1888, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083773
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 83rd (1861-1864). Society of War Veterans, Ninth Regiment, New York State Militia (83d N.Y. Volunteers). (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL film 6083771
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).