7th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry
The 7th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Taunton and mustered in June 15, 1861. They were moved to Taunton, Massachusetts, June 16-20, and there mustered out July, 1864, expiration of term.
For more information on the history of see the following:7th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 7th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (accessed 27 September 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 27 September 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Monument to the7th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 11 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East,7th Massachusetts, Infantry Regiment, (accessed 11 April 2013).
- Images of the 7th Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 11 April 2013).
- Kirwan, Thomas. Memorial history of the Seventeenth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, (old and new organizations), in the Civil War from 1861-1865 : issued by the authority of the supervisors authorized to write and publish the history. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1985), FHL film 1425542 Item 1 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083155 digitized
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).