76th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 76th Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in October 5, 1861, to February 3, 1862 at Camp Sherman, Newark, Ohio. They were mustered out July 15, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 76th Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 76th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 31 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - Many men from Licking County
- 76th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases
- Willison, Charles A. Reminiscences of a boy's service with the 76th Ohio : in the Fifteenth Army Corps, under General Sherman, during the Civil War. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118224
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Charles A. Willison, Reminiscences of a Boy's Service with the 76th Ohio in the Civil War, (Menasha, Wisconsin: George Banta Publishing, n.d.), page 7.
- History of Columbiana County, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers (Philadelphia: D.W. Ensign & Co, 1879).