6th Regiment, West Virginia Infantry
The 6th Regiment, West Virginia Infantry organized at Grafton, Taylor County, Mannington, Marion County, Cairo, Ritchie County, Parkersburg, Wood County and Wheeling, Ohio and Marshall Counties, West Virginia, August 13 to December 26, 1861.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'West Virginia in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- West Virginia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for West Virginia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- McDougal, Henry Clay. Recollections, 1844-1909. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6084136.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).