6th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry (Militia)
Compendium of the War of the Rebellion" by Frederick H. Dyer contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Pictures of the 6th Regiment Massachusetts Infantry Militia,(accessed 11 April 2013).
- Hanson, J. W. (John Wesley). Historical sketch of the old Sixth regiment of Massachusetts volunteers during its three campaigns in 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864 : Containing the history of the several companies previous to 1861, and the name and military record of each man connected with the regiment during the war. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1965), FHL film 414107.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).