6th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry (100 days, 1864) (Militia)
The 6th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry (100 days, 1864) (Militia) was organized at Readville and mustered in July 14-19, 1864. They were moved to Boston October 19-21, 1864,and mustered out October 27, 1864
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Infantry (100 days Militia), (accessed 9 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War in the East, 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment (30 days, 9 months, 100 days) (accessed 11 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- Acton Memorial Library Civil War Archives, Sixth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia (Infantry), (accessed 13 March 2012).