6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
This regiment was organized at Madison, Indiana, and mustered in September 20, 1861. They mustered out September 22, 1864 at expiration of term. Veterans and Recruits were transferred to 68th Indiana Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Infantry (3 Years), (accessed 26 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 6th Regiment Indiana Infantry (3 years), (accessed 26 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 2
- Company A - Reorganized Soldier of Jefferson County - see Roster on page 74
- Company B - many men from Bartholomew County - see Roster on page 3
- Company B - Reorganized Soldier of Jennings County- see Roster on page 76
- Company C - many men from Daviess County - see Roster on page 4
- Company C - Reorganized Soldier of Bartholomew County - see Roster on page 78
- Company D - many men from Howard County - see Roster on page 5
- Company D - Reorganized Soldier of Jefferson County- see Roster on page 79
- Company D, 6th Regiment Infantry - see Roster 
- Company E - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 7
- Company E - Reorganized Soldier of Daviess County - see Roster on page 81
- Company F - many men from Henry County - see Roster on page 8
- Company F - Reorganized Soldier Jefferson County - see Roster on page 82
- Company G - many men from Jennings County - see Roster on page 9
- Company G - Reorganized Soldier of Bartholomew, Wayne, and Jefferson counties - see Roster on page 84
- Company H - many men from Jackson County - see Roster on page 10 - INGenWeb
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier of Switzerland , Jefferson, Ohio, and Bartholomew counties - see Roster on page 86
- Company I - many men from Hamilton County - see Roster on page 11
- Company I - Reorganized Soldier of Jennings County - see Roster on page 87
- Company K - many men from Jefferson County - see Roster on page 12
- Company K - Reorganized Soldier of Ripley, Jefferson ,and Daviess counties - see Roster on page 88
- unassigned recruits - see Roster on page 89
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 6th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Indiana in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War 1861 to 1865, Part 1 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans' censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive, (accessed 28 Dec 2010). Brief history of the 6th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia, (accessed 28 Dec 2010). Article on the 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index, (accessed 28 Dec 2010). Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- History of the 6th Indiana, (accessed 26 Dec 2020), also muster rolls of Company "A" (Jefferson Country) and "H" (Jefferson Country).
- 6th Regiment Indiana Infantry - Company D,(accessed 28 Dec 2010). Roster (Howard Country) that has been alphabetized for easy reference.
- Fletcher, William B., "The Civil War Journal of William B. Fletcher" (ed. Loriman S. Brigham, Indiana Magazine of History 57, no. 1 (March 1961): 43-76.) 1861, Marion County (Indianapolis), 6th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Abstract and Bibliographic Information, article PDF, (accessed 6 Apr 2011)
BOOKS and FILMS
- Briant, C. C. History of the Sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Of Both the Three Months' and Three Years' Services. Indianapolis: W.B. Burford, printer and binder, 1891 FHL US/CAN Fiche
6084360 (6 fiche), FHL Collection, At various libraries (WorldCat), Internet Archive, Ancestry ($), Google Books
- Doll, William H. History of the Sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War, April 25, 1861, to September 22, 1864. S.l: s.n.], 1903. FHL Collection, At various libraries (WorldCat) and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6084361
- Grayson, A. J. History of the Sixth Indiana Regiment in the Three Months Campaign in Western Virginia. (Madison, Ind: Courier Print, 1875.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084362 (1 fiche) FHL Collection, At various libraries (WorldCat)