64th Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
Organized March 11, 1864, from 7th Louisiana Infantry (African Descent). Attached to 1st Division, Unassigned, United States Colored Troops, District of Vicksburg, Mississippi, to May, 1864.
Mustered out March 13, 1866.
Companies in this Regiment With Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia page: 64th United States Colored Infantry Regiment
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Union Volunteers in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Union Volunteers in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for the Union Volunteers, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wikipedia-7th Louisiana Regiment Infantry (African Descent): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Louisiana_Regiment_Infantry_(African_Descent)
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).