5th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry
The 5th Regiment, Ohio Cavalry mustered in October 23-November 14, 1861 at Camp Dick Corwin, near Cincinnati, Ohio. They were mustered out October 30, 1865 at Sub-District of Morgantown, District of Western North Carolina, Department of North Carolina. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 5th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 23 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 5th Ohio Cavalry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- 5th Ohio Cavalry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Aston, Howard.History and roster of the Fourth and Fifth Independent battalions and Thirteenth Regiment Ohio Cavalry Volunteers : their battles, skirmishes, roster of the dead, etc. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993) FHL Fiche 6118126
- Heath, Thomas Tinsley. Straws : paper read before the Ohio Commandery of the Loyal Legion, April 7, 1909. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118117
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Byron Williams, History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio: from the earliest historical times down to the present'", (Tucson, Arizona: Filmed by W.C. Cox Co., 1974), page 428. Digital version on FamilySearch
- History of Clermont County, Ohio: with illustrations and biographical sketches of its prominent men and pioneers (Philadelphia: L. H. Everts, 1880).
- Grace Hildy Croft, The History of Clark County, Ohio (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic 1972).