56th Regiment, New York Infantry National Guard (100 days, 1864)
The 56th Regiment, New York Infantry National Guard (100 days, 1864) mustered in for 100 days' service August 2, 1864. Duty at Elmira, N. Y., till November. The regiment mustered out November 6, 1864. 
For more information about this unit, see 54th Regiment, New York State Militia, New York National Guard
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System has the information listed above and may have additional historical information. Searches can be made by name of a soldier or sailor. Information about cemeteries battles, prisoners, medals of honor and national parks is also included.
- Fisk, Joel C. A condensed history of the 56th Regiment New York Veteran Volunteer Infantry which was part of the organization known as the "Tenth Legion" in the Civil War, 1861-1865 : together with a register or roster of all the members of the regiment, and the war record of each member as recorded in the Adjutant General's Office at Albany, New York. (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988), FHL film 1486489 and A condensed history of the 56th Regiment, New York Veteran Volunteer Infantry : which was part of the organization known as the "Tenth Legion" in the Civil War, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083727
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited atCivil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).