53rd Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry
This regiment was organized at Harrisburg October, 1861. It mustered out June 30, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 53rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 September 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 53rd Pennsylvania Infantry, (accessed 19 September 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field and Staff officers - See Roster
Regimental Band - See Roster
Unassigned men - See Roster
This data is from Bates' History of Pennsylvania Volunteers, Volume 2.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- McPherson, George. Brothers in arms. (Journal), FHL no. 86 (wnter 1998) digital copy
- Myers, Irvin G. We Might As Well Die Here: The 53d Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry. Shippensburg, Pa.: White Mane, 2004. FHL Book 974.8 M2mig.
- Wheeler, J. Herbert. Muster out roll of Capt. George B. Richards, Company D, 53rd Regiment of Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers, commanded by Colonel William M. Mentzer : called into service at Stevensburg, Virginia, 22 December 1863. (1982),FHL book 974.8 M2wj
- Pa-Roots describes the organization and battles of this regiment. It also has a roster for each company and lists additional references.
- Ranger95 gives an outline of battles for this regiment, has a roster for each company, and shows images of monuments for this regiment.
- 53rd Pennsylvania infantry Co.C has rosters, images of some soldiers, and diaries for this Company.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).