53rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at New Albany and Indianapolis, Indiana, February 19 to March 6, 1862. It was in the Surrender of Johnston and his army. They march to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virginia., April 29-May 20 and Grand Review May 24. They moved to Louisville, Kentucky, June, and there mustered out July 21, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 53rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 9 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 563
- Company B - many men from Harrison County - see Roster on page 565
- Company C - men from Madison, and Spencer Counties - see Roster on page 568
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 570
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 573
- Company F- many men from Harrison Country - see Roster on page 576
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 578
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 581
- Company I - many men from Warrick County - see Roster on page 584
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 586
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 588
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 53th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Company A- many men from Hancock County 
- Company D - many men from Clark County 
- Company K - 3/4 men was from Orange County 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 53rd Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 53rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, and states Alabama;to Indiana.
- Company "B", 53th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (accessed 05 Jan 2011) was of Clark Country, Indiana.
- Haas, Garland A. 1997. To the mountain of fire and beyond: the Fifty-Third Indiana Regiment from Corinth to glory. (Carmel, Ind: Guild Press of Indiana.) 977.23 M2h FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Military Annals" Chapter 7 in Richman, George J.History of Hancock County, Indiana; Its People, Industries and Institutions. (Greenfield, Ind: Wm. Mitchell Printing Co, 1916.) (page 255-328 Regiment, Company, Name) 977.258 H2r FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection referer=brief_results other library INTERNET ARCHIVE printsec=frontcover dq=History+of+Hancock+County,+Indiana;+its+people,+industries+and+institutions, source=bl ots=7iv1ZNy7B3 sig=2K6XanAk7iZLkF59X_5PvingD0k hl=en ei=M2q3TZSlG9PPiAKPyNwt sa=X ;amp;oi=book_result ct=result resnum=5 ved=0CDYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage f=false Google books
- "The Military History of Clark County" chapter 18-19 in Baird, Lewis C. 1972. Baird's history of Clark County, Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic) (page 178-205,Regiment, Compaies) 977.2185 H2b FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection referer=brief_results other librariesINTERNET ACHIVE
- "Military History Of Oragge County" Chapter 7 in History of Washington County Indiana: A Re-Production of the Original "History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties" 1884. (Salem, Ind: Washington County Historical Society, 1999.), (page 518-519, Regiment, Companies), 977.226 H2Lc FHL FHL Collectionreferer=brief_results other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE