4th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves
Organized with three companies at Raliegh on 30 May 1864. Fourth company assigned on 15 June 1864. Consolidated with the 7th and 8th Infantry Battalions, Junior Reserves, and designated as the 72 Infantry Regiment, at Wilmington 3 January 1865.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - many men from Guilford County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of The Confederate Armies: North Carolina. Facts On file New York - Oxford 1992.FHL book 975 M2ss
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Brown, Matthew M and Coffey, Michael W.North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 17. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 2009. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol 17