44th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry
Brief History[edit | edit source]
The 44th Tennessee Infantry Regiment was organized at Camp Trousdale December 16, 1861. This regiment later consolidated with 55th (McKoin's) Tennessee Infantry April 18, 1862 to form 44th Consolidated Tennessee Infantry and was again reorganized May 5, 1862. Once again field consolidation with 25th Tennessee Infantry occurred October, 1863. The regiment was paroled at Appomattox Courthouse April 9, 1865.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin[edit | edit source]
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company C - men from Smith County
- Company E - men from Lincoln County and Davidson Counties
- Company G - men from Bedford County and Rutherford County
- Company H - men from Sumner County and Macon County
- Company I - men from Williamson County
Captain James L. McKoin Company - many men from Sumner County
Captain J. H. Joyner Company - many men from Sumner County
Five Cavalry Companies wre raised in Sumner County for the Confederate Army.
Captains Minnis, C. L. Bennett, M. Griffin, H. B. Boude and J. T. E. Odom
The information above is from The Goodspeed Histories, Vol 5.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lindsley, John B. The Military Annals of Tennessee: Confederate, First Series; Embracing a Review of Military Operations, with Regimental Histories and Memorial Rolls, Compiled from Original and Official Sources. 1886. Reprint. Spartanburg, South Carolina: Reprint Co., 1974. (Family History Library book 976.8 M2L.) Digital versions at Ancestry ($); Internet Archive. A brief history and memorial rolls of the 44th Tennessee Infantry begin on page 528.
- 44th Tennessee Infantry Regiment Descendents Association, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Brief history, important links.
- 44th Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 26 Sep 2011). Links to histories, rosters, soldiers, letters, prison life, etc.
- 44th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, submitted by Greg Curtis, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). Organization, officers and short history.
- 44th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 Oct 2011). This history is taken from John Berrian Lindsley's "Military Annals of Tennessee (Confederate)", originally published in 1886.
- Franklin County, Tennessee Men in the 44th Tennessee Infantry, (accessed 22 Oct 2011).
- Edwin L. Ferguson, Sumner County, Tennessee In the Civil War, Chapter Ten, 44th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, (accessed 2 January 2019). A brief history, Muster roll for Company H.
- The Forty-fourth Tennessee (Confederate) Regiment, a brief history, (accessed 29 Dec 2011).
- Historic Roster of Company D, 44th Tennessee Consolidated Infantry, (accessed 30 Dec 2011).
References[edit | edit source]
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).