3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
United States U.S. Military Wisconsin Wisconsin Military Wisconsin in the Civil War United States U.S. Military Wisconsin Wisconsin Military Wisconsin in the Civil War 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry
The 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in June 19, 1861. It moved to Louisville, Kentucky, June 11-16, and there it was mustered out July 18, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 3rd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 16 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - Roster page 387.
Company B - Roster page 391.
Company C - Roster page 395.
Company D - Roster page 399.
Company E - Roster page 403.
Company F - Roster page 407.
Company G - Roster page 412.
Company H - Roster page 416.
Company I - Roster page 419.
Company K - Roster page 423.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster page 427.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Association of the Third Regiment Wisconsin Infantry Veteran Volunteers. Reunion. Proceedings of the ... annual reunion of the Association of the Third Regiment Wisconsin Infantry Veteran Volunteers held at ... (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118328 to 6118336 and FHL fiche 6118327.
- Bryant, Edwin Eustace. History of the Third Regiment of Wisconsin Veteran Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118337.
- Meffert, William C. An incident of the battle of Chancellorsville. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118339.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. (Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886)