38th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry
The 38th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized and mustered in August 24, 1862.They were mustered out June 30, 1865.They were moved to Boston Mass., June 30-July 5. Discharged July 13, 1865.
For more information on the history of 38th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 38th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (accessed 4 October 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 38th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 11 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Flinn, Frank M. Campaigning with Banks in Louisiana '63 and '64 : and with Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley in '64 and '65. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083213
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).