37th Regiment, United States Colored Infantry
Organized January 30, - September 19, 1864, as 3rd North Carolina Colored Volunteer Infantry.
Attached to U. S. Forces, Norfolk and Portsmouth, Virginia, Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, February 3, 1864 to April, 1864.
Mustered out February 11, 1867.   
Rootsweb page: 37th Regiment, U.S.Colored Troops includes alphabetical by surnames rosters giving company individual served in.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Union Volunteers in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Union Volunteers in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for the Union Volunteers, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Rootsweb and Ancestry have a project to extract the records of the 37th Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncusct/usct37.htm
- 37th Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops, master index by soldier.
- FamilySearch Wiki: North Carolina in the Civil War
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Tabular Analysis of the Records of the U.S. Colored Troops and Their Predecessor Units in the National Archives of the United States. Special List No. 33. National Archives and records Service General Services Administration Washington: 1973. Compiled by Joseph B. Ross. FHL Book 973 M2rt Film:1036062 Item 21
- "Bibliography of State participation in the Civil war 1861-1866". War Department: Office of the Chief of Staff. War College Division, General Staff, No. 19. Washington Government Printing Office. 1913.