2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry
The 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry was organized at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, December 30, 1861, to March 10, 1862. It marched to Austin, Texas, and was mustered out there on November 15, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see;
- The Civil War Archive section, 2nd Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 23 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 2nd Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 23 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin were taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - many men from Fond du lac County, Calumet County and Adams County - Roster, page 53.
Company B - most men from La Crosse County - Roster, page 56.
Company C - most men from Grant County - Roster, page 59.
Company D - many men from La Crosse County, St. Croix County and Polk County - Roster, page 62.
Company E - many men from Columbia County, Sauk County and Douglas County - Roster, page 65.
Company F - many men from Richland County, Iowa County and Dane County - Roster, page 68.
Company G - many men from Racine County, Brown County, Kenosha County and Columbia County - Roster, page 71.
Company H - many men from Milwaukee County and La Crosse County - Roster, page 74.
Company I - many men from Milwaukee County, Green County, Chippewa County and Lafayette County - Roster, page 76.
Company K - most men from Walworth County, some from Rock County - Roster, page 80.
Company L - many men from Eau Claire County, La Crosse County, Buffalo County, Rock County, Pepin County, Dunn County, and Grant County - Roster, page 82.
Company M - most men from Rock County, many from Pierce County - Roster, page 85.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster, page 89.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, ett.
- Ferris, Antoinette Barnum. A soldier's souvenir, or, The terrible experiences of Lieut. L. L. Lancaster, of the Second Wisconsin Cavalry : a martyr to the cause of truth and justice, comprising short biographical sketches, with story of his death sentence, reprieve, banishment, hardships and final release; to which is added "The song of the Veterans". (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118316.
- Grigsby, Melvin. The smoked yank. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6118317.
- West, Emmet C. History and reminiscences of the Second Wisconsin Cavalry Regiment. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118318.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Volume I. (Madison: Democrat Printing Company, State Printers, 1886)