24th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry
The 24th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Readville September to December, 1861,and mustered out January 20, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit,see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 24th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 11 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Roe, Alfred Seelye. The Twenty-Fourth Regiment, Massachusetts volunteers, 1861-1866 : New England guard regiment. (Worcester, Massachusetts : Twenty-Fourth Veteran Association, 1907, c1907), FHL book 974.4 M2ra and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991),FHL Fiche 6083180
- Trumbull, H. Clay (Henry Clay). The captured scout of the Army of the James : a sketch of the life of Sergeant Henry H. Manning, of the Twenty-Fourth Mass. Regiment. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL film 6083181
- Images of the 24th Regiment Massachusetts Infantry,(accessed 20 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).